Wednesday 8 September 2010

Fudge And Smudge Legends Race


Graham Bradley plans to ride out the storm of his controversial return to the saddle in the Fudge And Smudge Leger Legends Classified Stakes on the opening day of the St Leger meeting at Doncaster.

The Cheltenham Gold Cup-winning jockey was one of the best riders of his generation, but his career was blighted and he is back in the fold after serving a five-year ban for selling privileged information.

He said: "It's a race of legends. It's a big honour and I'm absolutely over the moon. I don't know what all the fuss is about."

Bradley, who is 50 the same day, has like all the riders in the race been granted a one-day licence by the BHA, but the decision has being criticised in some quarters.

The former jockey went on: "All I got found guilty of was giving a bloke a few winners, not losers, years before Betfair.

"I'm looking forward to it and I've got a good little ride (Aflaam, trained by Ron Harris). He was second at Leicester last time and not beaten very far on soft ground, and the rain's come. He wouldn't be without a little chance.

"I rode against John Francome when I was a young lad and I've been riding out with him most mornings. It will be brilliant and really good fun.

"I've come down from 13st 3lb to just under 11st 7lb, so I've done well and I only got brought in at the last minute (for Micky Hammond). I've lost 1st 10lb in a month."