Sunday 3 October 2010

Fury Wins Well!


Kieren Fallon delivered Fury with a perfectly-timed challenge to bag the £500,000 Tattersalls Millions 2YO Trophy at Newmarket.

The former champion jockey was happy to bide his time on the 11-2 joint-favourite as fellow market leader State Opera cut out the early pace, before manoeuvring to the far rail over two furlongs out.

Once the William Haggas-trained winner saw space, he took off up the rail and found plenty in front to win by a comfortable length and three-quarters.

Pisco Sour kept on well to claim second while Formosina, who was very slowly away, finished to good effect to sneak third place.


Fallon said: "I loved him when I rode him at Newbury. I was worried about the ground today, it's a bit churned up and it's sticky, but he flew through it no problem. It's hard to gauge these races, but there were some horses in there with good speed figures and highly rated.

"He travelled so well and he's got a great attitude. He did it smoothly and I think he's got a big future. I don't think the draw mattered - I think I would have won from anywhere on this fellow."

Haggas added: "I think in these races with maximum fields you need so much luck, it doesn't matter how good the horse is. We got the luck with our draw.

"I've always liked him, he has a great nature and a great head on him. I'm always looking for horses that can go to the next level and he might be one. He'll get a Guineas entry and we'll take it from there.

"We had geared everything to this. I suppose there is a possibility he might go for the Horris Hill, but that's not a race I like particularly.

"I suspect we'll put him away. We'll have to talk about it and discuss it when everything settles down."