Saturday 12 March 2011

Wolverhampton Lincoln Trial


John Ryan has admitted to some concerns ahead of Final Drive's return to action in England in Wolverhampton's William Hill Lincoln Trial.

The five-year-old has risen almost 40lb in the handicap since starting his winning run back in November and has recently been campaigning with credit in Dubai, but Ryan just hopes his pride and joy has had enough of a break.

"I'm still in Dubai but I'll be home in time to see his race. But I won't be able to get there," said Newmarket-based Ryan.

"He's been running well out here and I hope we finished him early enough to freshen him up for this as we've always had it in mind because he loves it there.

"I just hope there is some petrol left in the tank. We took a chance on his last run as we knew it was the cut off point to freshen him up for this.


"My father has been in charge of the yard since I've been away and he's very happy, and Stevie Donohoe has been in to ride him out. We'd have loved Stevie to ride him in Dubai but he couldn't because of other commitments.

"The draw (13) isn't the best what with him being a hold-up horse, but I hope it isn't too much of a hindrance. He's one of those horses who shines on the all-weather and still seems to be improving. He's been a champion to train.

"Sooner or later the tank will run dry and the travelling would be a concern, but he handled it going out so I just hope he handles it coming back. We've tried to do it the right way. It will be hard from that draw with top weight."