Sunday 1 April 2012

Lincoln Review


Richard Fahey achieved a long-held ambition when finally landing the William Hill Lincoln at Doncaster with Brae Hill.

The Malton handler has had numerous horses placed in recent years, including Brae Hill 12 months ago, when he beat all bar Sweet Lightning.

Back to exactly the same handicap mark, despite subsequently winning the Bunbury Cup at Newmarket, Brae Hill was providing Tony Hamilton with the biggest victory of his career.

Prominent throughout, Brae Hill (25-1) got a break on the field with over a furlong to run but Mull Of Killough, in rear early, flew home and closed to within a short head. Fury was third, with Edinburgh Knight (my selection at 22/1>11/1) fourth.

With Paul Hanagan now riding for Hamdan Al Maktoum, Hamilton may find himself in the spotlight more often this season - a situation Fahey is totally at ease with.

The trainer said: "I've wanted to win this race, but felt I was destined to never do it. I think I have had three seconds and plenty of others placed. He's very hairy and hasn't come in his coat, so when you hear trainers talking about that it just shows it's a load of rubbish.

"It's great for Tony, and I am lucky that I have got some very good jockeys. Tony will never let me down. Brae Hill is owned by (Dr) Marwan (Koukash), so all roads will lead to Chester."

Hamilton added: "He stuck his head down and galloped to the line. I did think I had won. It's the biggest race I've ever won. Marwan was keen on me to make it and there wasn't much pace early. It could not have worked out any better.

"I've been with Richard about 10 years, we've always got on, and with Paul getting the big job he's got I might get a few more opportunities, we'll have to see."