Sunday 24 January 2010

Peter Marsh Review...Lough Derg (My Selection) Credible Third 14/1!

Our Vic showed he is no back number with a gutsy display to take the Peter Marsh Chase at Haydock as a 20-1 shot.

David Johnson's 12-year-old, trained by David Pipe, made all the running under 3lb claimer Danny Cook, who had taken the wrong course when last partnering the horse at Cheltenham in December.

The combination shrugged off several challenges, the last of which was by Palypso De Creek, but even in receipt of 20lb the latter could not peg back the leader and was still two and three-quarter lengths away at the line.

Cook was having his first ride back since a 28-day ban for his Cheltenham mishap, and said: "This is the biggest win of my career. I owed the horse and it's great that he won. We've put Cheltenham behind us now and I've done my time.

"David said to me coming here not to worry about his stamina, he said he'd always thought he would get four miles so I should ride him as though stamina was not an issue. He stayed on really well and galloped all the way to the line."

Proud owner Johnson added: "All credit has to go to Danny Cook, who knows him so well. He took a handy 3lb off and I can't think of many jockeys who would try so hard on him.

"He is a Cheltenham Festival winner and has won so many races for us over the years. I hoped he may get placed and pick up some petrol money, but didn't expect him to win. He was 20-1 and we didn't back him.

"We have got to think of the Grand National, but we do have Comply Or Die for that race. He would be our number one and I am sure we can find Our Vic a three-mile handicap somewhere."

Mon Mome's trainer Venetia Williams said after the Grand National winner finished fourth: "I was very happy with that. He just got a bit outpaced going down to the last on the far side.

"I was hopeful he would run well, but had lost a little bit of confidence because of the bad weather. The plan is to come back here for the Blue Square Gold Cup next month and we will also probably run Miko de Beauchene in the same race."