Saturday 12 June 2010

Dettori Takes A Tumble


Frankie Dettori will be hoping for flying dismounts of a different kind at Royal Ascot next week after taking a tumble from Toolain at Sandown.

The Italian was aboard Michael Jarvis' newcomer in the totequadpot EBF Maiden Stakes and all was going to plan as he ranged upsides Ahmed Ajtebi and favourite Ecliptic (5-4) in front of the grandstands. But his mount jinked left and then right causing Dettori to fall.

The jockey said: "My horse saw the big screen, jinked twice and I fell off. Perhaps it will be a good omen for next week!"

Ajtebi's mount was rallying when Dettori exited the saddle and his departure allowed Mahmood Al Zarooni's representative to coast across the line some eight lengths to the good of 100-1 outsider Surrey Star.

Ajtebi added: "In this game you always need some luck and even if Frankie had stayed on, I would have finished close to him or won the race.

"I saw Frankie coming to me before his horse ducked but I hadn't used my stick at that point and once I saw Frankie come off, I stopped riding my horse as I was seven lengths clear."