Sunday 27 June 2010

Donald Isses His Winner!


Donald McCain enjoyed a great jumps season and gained a major success on the Flat when Overturn landed the £175,000 John Smith's Northumberland Plate under a superb ride from Eddie Ahern at Newcastle.

Ahern judged things to perfection as he brought the 14-1 chance - drawn widest of all in stall 21 - home in front in the two-mile feature, bouncing him out quickly and tacking over to the inside rail and into the lead.

Confident of his mount's stamina, he had no worries in trying to make the rest of the running and Overturn kept up a relentless gallop to score by two and three-quarter lengths from Drunken Sailor.

Unfortunately McCain failed to get to Gosforth Park to see the race, having set out with owner Tim Leslie. The trainer later explained: "We had a tyre blow-out on the M6 and we rang any number of garages trying to get a new tyre for a Maserati, but failed!

"We managed to hear the race commentary over the phone in the end and the car had to be brought back on the back of a truck. I am looking forward to seeing a recording of the race, but he seems to have done it well."

He went on: "We were thinking of going for the Ascot Stakes at Royal Ascot, but that was two and a half miles and today's race was worth a lot more money, so we decided to have a go at this one.

"I don't know what we will do now, we may give him a break and try another on the Flat, but he will go back jumping in the winter and I think he will jump a fence one day."

Ahern added: "It gives you some buzz to win a race like this and I am pleased to win it for Donald. I rode his first Flat winner at Chester about two years ago.

"Plan A was to get him out of the stalls quickly and get the rail, then Plan B was for something to lead me, but nothing took me on so I made it. Donald said he would stay as he stays two and a half miles over hurdles. I would love to ride him over jumps!"

Red-hot favourite Deauville Flyer, although fifth, was never able to get in a blow and Robert Winston said: "The way the race panned out did not suit him. They steadied down the back and he did not pick up for me when I wanted."