Sunday 8 May 2011

Hawkeyethenoo Wins At Ascot


Gary Bartley made an unglamorous trip from Scotland to Ascot in Jim Goldie's horsebox only to emerge with the biggest success of his career after partnering his beloved Hawkeyethenoo in the totesport Victoria Cup.

The 3lb claimer is a vital component of Goldie's stable at Uplawmoor near Glasgow and has now been in the saddle for four of Hawkeyethenoo's six victories since the versatile sprinter moved from Mick Easterby in the summer of 2009.

Although he has been replaced by blue-chip jockeys on many of the big occasions, the uncomplaining Bartley continued his job as the gelding's work rider and seized his opportunity with both hands.

Hawkeyethenoo, a 15-2 chance, has been an unlucky loser at times and needs to be treated gently from the stalls, but he moved fluidly through the big field and went on to take the near £53,000 first prize by an assured two and a half lengths.

Bartley said: "I probably ride him in 90% of his work and I'm so grateful to Jim for having faith in me. I've been with Jim for four years, and I actually rode my first couple of winners over hurdles for him.


"When champion jockeys like Kieren Fallon ask to ride him, you obviously accept it. I pretty much had to beg Jim for the ride, but he trusted me a million dollars.

"He might win the boss his Ayr Gold Cup that he's always wanted - I hope I get to keep the ride on him now."

Goldie added: "Gary rides the horse at home and he rode him very confidently, it was good for him to get a big chance.

"He is very speedy and talented, but the key is to get him settled out of the stalls. He's been a great servant to us and will probably go for the Wokingham at Royal Ascot now."