Sunday 9 October 2011

"Twenty five years of trying and I've finally broken the hoodoo"...Dettori WINS Betfred Cesarewitch


Frankie Dettori produced a magnificent piece of front-running riding from the worst of the draw to win the Betfred Cesarewitch at Newmarket aboard Never Can Tell.

The former champion jockey was winning the prestigious race for the first time and was providing trainer Jamie Osborne with one of the biggest wins of his training career.

Drawn widest of all in stall 36, Dettori raced on his own down the centre of the track for most of the race. Colour Vision was the main challenger inside the final furlong but eventually was caught by Ermyn Lodge for second, a length and a half adrift of the winner.

Dettori said: "Twenty five years of trying and I've finally broken the hoodoo! She's a front-runner, but to cut the corner was an advantage. Full credit to Jamie, she's really tried for me."


Osborne added: "With her style of running, it probably wasn't as bad a draw as everyone thought.

"Frankie said to me 'do me a favour, don't give me any instructions'. She likes to bowl along in front so it was always going to be a pretty straightforward plan really. I just said go out and give me the ride of the season and he has.

"She's not very pretty or very big, she just tries. It's lovely to be part of today."