Saturday 6 June 2009

Betfairs And Racing Diarys Editor Carl Harris Says "Back Fame And Glory"


"Sariska won the Oaks, now lets see if we can land an Epsom Classic Double with Fame and Glory!

The Derby (3.45) promises to be every bit as enthralling as the fillies classic. Six from the field of 13 are trained by Aidan O’Brien who could make history by filling all the places. I doubt that will happen but it looks almost certain that the 2009 Derby winner will be trained in Ireland, but which one?

I think the race is between John Oxx’s 2000 Guineas winner Sea The Stars and Fame and Glory
Nathan Lynch thinks that Sea the Stars will win, but for me its Fame and Glory!
We gave you Fame and Glory following his Ballysax stakes victory (6/1) before his priced collapsed after a convincing win in Ireland’s premier Derby trial. The jockey arrangements have pushed the price back out to incredibly good odds with Johnny Murtagh opting to ride Rip Van Winkle with Seamus Heffernan keeping the ride on the Montjeu colt.
If he had a choice I think Johnny has got it wrong. I can not see Rip Van Winkle winning the Derby, I think the race is between the Guineas winner, Sea The Stars and Fame and Glory. Will Sea The Stars stay? I think it would take an exceptional horse in the modern era to do the double.

It is 20 years since Nashwan won the 2000 Guineas and the Derby in the same season. If Sea The Stars were to become the 35th horse in history to do the classic double then he would be a great horse, the best for a generation. From what I have seen Fame and Glory has all the attributes required to win the Derby and has followed the same route to Epsom as Aidan O’Brien trod with Derby winners Galileo and High Chaparral.

I advise backing Fame and Glory to win the Derby at what I think are really good odds.

Lets hope that Fame and Glory completes a classic double for us at Epsom!"



I`m with you on this one Carl...crackin` horse at a crackin` price! Took the early 5/1! Check out www.racingdiary.co.uk for more from Carl. Barry R