Tuesday 1 November 2011

Emirates Melbourne Cup Review


French raider Dunaden just pipped British runner Red Cadeaux in a thrilling finish to the Emirates Melbourne Cup at Flemington Park.

The Mikel Delzangles-trained runner was racing neck and neck with Ed Dunlop's Red Cadeaux and the pair flashed past the post together to force a photo.

However, Christophe Lemaire just edged in front aboard Dunaden at the line to deny Michael Rodd aboard Red Cadeaux.

Delzangles said: "I'm still shaking. It's amazing. I thought I was beaten so it's even better."

Lemaire only stepped in for the ride at the last minute after Craig Williams was ruled out of the race through suspension.

Williams rode Dunaden to win the Geelong Cup in his prep race earlier this month and Delzangles paid tribute to his efforts.

He added: "I would like to have a thought for Craig Williams who should have been on the horse. He did a great job in preparation for the horse and he has been a gentleman. I want to thank all the people we have met here who have helped us."

Dunaden is owned by Sheikh Fahad Al Thani under his Pearl Bloodstock banner.

He said: "It's a dream come true. I'm fortunate to have had a runner in the race."

An emotional Lemaire added: "It's a great moment for me. This will be one of the great moments of my career. I hope to come back year after year. I know it was hard for Craig Williams but it's part of a jockeys' life and I know he will win the race one day."


Ed Dunlop was understandably disappointed after Red Cadeaux was edged out in a photo.

However, the trainer is already thinking about a return trip in 2012 with the five-year-old.

The handler said: "I thought beforehand that he wouldn't like the ground but that was a fantastic run. I was watching it with Luca Cumani and he thought I'd got it on the nod but the best I thought we'd got would have been a dead heat."


He added: "He got a lovely run into the straight and the jockey has given him a great ride. We don't like to be second but I've come all the way down here for the first so you have to be delighted. If he's OK, we'll be back next year."

Red Cadeaux lost out by a nose in the photo, the closest verdict in 151 runnings of the race.


Cumani saddled two in the race with Manighar claiming fifth place while Drunken Sailor was 12th, but the Newmarket handler was left ruing his luck after his other possible Bauer was balloted out of the race at the final declaration stage.


The trainer said: "We'll just have to come back again next year. If Bauer had been in the field, he would have been close. Manighar galloped all the way to the line but Drunken Sailor didn't seem to get home and this isn't the right trip for him."


Saeed Bin Suroor also fielded two in the race with Lost In The Moment finishing sixth and Modun a lacklustre last of the 23 runners.

He said: "Lost In The Moment ran well for a second I thought he might be getting there but it didn't quite happen. I'm disappointed with Modun. He was too keen and didn't stay the trip."


Mark Johnston's Fox Hunt was seventh with his other runner Jukebox Jury finishing 20th. Brian Ellison was another trainer to be double-handed but Moyenne Corniche and Saptapadi could muster no better than 15th and 16th respectively.