Tuesday 1 November 2011

Hanagan a step closer to back-to-back jockeys' championships


Paul Hanagan moved a step closer to claiming back-to-back jockeys' championships with a winner at Wolverhampton.

Hanagan struck on Richard Fahey's Gritstone (6-5 favourite) in the Breeders' Cup Live ATR Virgin 534 Handicap.

With his main rival Silvestre de Sousa not back in action until Wednesday having flown to Australia to ride Fox Hunt for Mark Johnston in the Melbourne Cup, Hanagan admits his win was vital. He now leads De Sousa by five having ridden his 160th winner of the campaign.


"It's going to be a tough week but this just gives me a bit of a cushion," he told At The Races.

"I just need to keep going for a few more days but it's going to be tough. I've had fantastic support from everybody, obviously the boss (Fahey) has been amazing.

"But those Mr Johnston horses are incredible, they just keep going and going so I won't be able to drop my guard.


"I know how hard Silvestre works and I'll be glad to see him when he gets back.

"It's fantastic for northern racing but also racing as a whole. We need something good to focus on for a change."