Thursday 10 November 2011

Peddlers Cross Makes A Smooth Transition


Champion Hurdle runner-up Peddlers Cross made a smooth transition to fences with a straightforward victory in the Golden Bear Beginners' Chase at Bangor.

Donald McCain's dual Grade One winner did little more than expected under Timmy Murphy in beating two rivals rated vastly inferior, but there was still plenty of encouragement to be taken from his fluent and accurate jumping.

The 1-8 favourite had his opponents cooked a long way from home in the extended two-mile-one-furlong event, and negotiated the last couple of fences in the straight immaculately to win by a ready four and a half lengths.

The Chazer ran a fine race to finish second, with early pacesetter Laterly coming home last of the three.


McCain said: "I'm relieved and he's done what we always expect of him. The only time he's done anything wrong it was my fault, we shouldn't have gone to Aintree (at the end of last season).

"I was kicking myself afterwards and when you saw how hard he struggled after the last to the line at Cheltenham I should never have even contemplated going. Thankfully, I've got an owner that forgives me.

"You expected him to make one small mistake going round, but I didn't see one. He's done everything we've asked him to do and done it really well. There is no substitute for experience and I'd like to think we'll get two or three more (runs) into him at least.

"Last season's light campaign was firstly due to the weather and secondly due to him being under the weather. He loves his job."

Murphy said: "I was delighted. He did everything I asked and when you needed to be a bit long he can be and when you needed to get in tight he can be, I didn't need to make his mind up. I couldn't ask for a better ride first time over fences.

"He's quick horse and a high-class hurdler. If I'm honest, my only worry was that he'd still be a little bit 'hurdley', but he wasn't. He did it very professionally and concentrated on everything he was doing. He's had a perfect start and I'm sure Donald has left a bit that he can build on. The sky's the limit at the moment."