Sunday 25 April 2010

Bet356 Gold Cup Review...Excellent Performance Fro Horse and Jockey


A genuine new riding star may well have emerged at Sandown on Saturday as 18-year-old Adrian Heskin gave the performance of his young life aboard Church Island in the bet365 Gold Cup.

Trainer Michael Hourigan speaks of his 7lb claimer with barely contained excitement and compares him favourably with Adrian Maguire at this stage of his career.

At 11, Church Island has been around nearly as long as Heskin, but he looked as enthusiastic as in his promising novice days and led for around half of the race before beating Hoo La Baloo by six lengths.

Heskin struck for the stable at last month's Cheltenham Festival through cross-country winner A New Story and Hourigan said: "I have to say I'm more proud of Adrian and his prospects than for any of the good horses I have trained.

"He gave him a peach of a ride and as he gets older and stronger, he's going to be some jockey.

"I would say he is more advanced than Adrian (Maguire) was at this stage. He has only been riding a year and I haven't wanted him to get falls or to be riding for other people.

"I'm proud I have been able to find him and make him and I just hope I can keep hold of him."

Heskin added: "You can't really compare this and Cheltenham, but they are equally as good. I can't really put it into words.

"My father had a horse with Mr Hourigan and he has been very good to me and given me some great opportunities."