Friday 9 April 2010

Nina Has The Character


Nina Carberry has been selected to ride Character Building in Saturday's John Smith's Grand National at Aintree.

Trainer John Quinn had thrown a few names into the hat but Carberry, brother of Grand National-winning rider Paul, has got the plum mount. The grey was recently bought by David and Patricia Thompson, the proprietors of Cheveley Park Stud.

"After discussions with Mr and Mrs Thompson it has been decided that Nina Carberry will ride Character Building on Saturday in the Grand National," the Malton handler told his website, www.johnquinnracing.co.uk.

"Nina has proved time and again that she can mix it with the best and the Thompsons were very keen to acquire her services. Roll on Saturday."

Carberry has once before ridden in the National, when finishing ninth aboard Forest Gunner in 2006, and told Press Association Sport.: "I can't wait now. It's great news and I'm delighted that the owners and trainer are letting me ride him.

"I got a great thrill riding Forest Gunner in the National. It was soft ground that day and he just didn't really get home, he jumped great and I got a great spin off him. I'm hoping to do a little bit better this time, for another clear round anyway, and with a bit of luck he'll be bang there.

"I just found out when John (Quinn) rang me. I didn't have a clue, it was a surprise. I wasn't even going over (to Aintree). It's very exciting. I've just been at home sat on the couch."