Sunday 18 April 2010

Denis O'Regan and Howard Johnson To Part Company


Denis O'Regan has revealed he will not be riding for Howard Johnson next season.

The jockey has teamed up with the County Durham trainer and owner Graham Wylie for the last three campaigns.

He replaced Paddy Brennan for the start of the 2007-08 season and had a successful first year, winning the World Hurdle on Inglis Drever and the Arkle Trophy on Tidal Bay at the Cheltenham Festival.

"The contract is not being renewed for next season. I've had a terrific three years and I've ridden so many good horses. Graham Wylie and Howard Johnson have put me up on some fantastic horses," said O'Regan.

"I've had a great time and I had the real pleasure of riding a champion in Inglis Drever. Now that chapter is closed in my career and I've got to move on.

"I've not made any decisions on my plans for next season. I'm going to see what's going to happen but I've just got to keep my head down and keep riding away as much as I can."

O'Regan has ridden 66 winners so far this season and was runner-up on Black Apalachi in the John Smith's Grand National for trainer Dessie Hughes at Aintree last week.