Saturday 31 July 2010

Dandy`s Just Dandy!


Joseph Henry led home a Dandy Nicholls one-two in the Rolf Group Stewards' Sprint Handicap at Glorious Goodwood.

Prominent throughout, the 28-1 shot scorched down the centre of the course and battled it out with stablemate and joint-favourite Victoire De Lyphar throughout the final furlong, eventually prevailing by a head under David Probert.

The 27-strong field initially split into three groups but ended up coming together for the final two furlongs, with Wildcat Wizard and Tiddliwinks staying on to fill the places, squashing any worries over draw preference.

Probert said: "He's won over a mile so I just had to keep him going forward. He's knuckled down and done the job well.

"The winners on Thursday were coming down the stands side to the middle so I just wanted to edge over a little bit, which we did. He's jumped out well and done it well."

Nicholls added: "It means a lot to the owners to have winners here, it means a lot to everyone. The winner's an experienced horse while the other is just a three-year-old and is just learning his trade.

"I think it's the first time I've even spoken to David (Probert) but if he's good enough to ride for Andrew Balding, he's good enough to ride for me.

"It's great for Joseph as he's so often been the bridesmaid and it's nice he's finally won one.

"I sort of inherited Victoire De Lyphar (formerly trained by Pat Haslam). He's a very nice young horse and I think he could end up being one of the best I've had."