Friday 16 July 2010

Harry Findlay Update

Harry Findlay was delighted to have his six-month ban reduced to a £4,500 fine after an appeal.

Findlay was handed the suspension for breaching the rules against owners laying bets on their own horses.

In a statement issued through his solicitors, Findlay said: "After two minutes of listening to Sir Roger Buckley (who chaired the Appeal Board), I knew that I was shorter than 1.01 to get the disqualification overturned."

He added: "He was so impressive. He was flanked by two other panellists who, like him, obviously had a thorough knowledge of the case and this is all I wanted.

"After the undoubtedly toughest four weeks of my life, I very nearly actually smiled when he spoke of a 'gambler's instinct'. I knew then that he understood the case and, in my language, he was simply 'the governor'.

"I would like to personally thank Mark Phillips, Oliver Codrington, Danielle Sharkey and Shirley Cowan of the BHA, whose professionalism throughout has helped to keep me sane.

"I would also like to thank my barrister, Roderick Moore, of Colleton Chambers in Exeter, and my solicitor, Daryl Cowan, of DC Employment Solicitors in Southampton, who both did such a fine job for me yesterday and managed to help me keep my cool in what was, for me, a very stressful situation.

"Special thanks go to Paul Barber, who never wavered. The support of the Sangster family, who I have known for less than two years, has been incredible and, in Sam's case, at times inspiring. Finally, I would like thank my friend Don Cuddy for making me tough enough to stick it out."

Daryl Cowan of DC Employment Solicitors said: "Speaking for myself and Roderick Moore (the barrister who represented Findlay at the appeal hearing), we are delighted and, frankly, relieved both for Harry and for racing.

"As for Harry, there was no corruption, no intention to profit at the expense of others and he was entirely open about what he did. A disqualification was plainly wrong, and the Appeal Board, to their great credit, agreed."