Tuesday 5 May 2009

Another Barry Does The Business...you cannot keep a good man down!

Barry Hills and son Richard teamed up to land the stanjames.com 1,000 Guineas with 20-1 shot Ghanaati on Sunday.

The twice-raced filly was always handy and was kicked into the lead in the dip before staying on powerfully to deny Jim Bolger's Cuis Ghaire (12-1) by a length and a half, with Super Sleuth (33-1), trained by Brian Meehan, a similar distance back in third.

Super Sleuth came from way back to claim minor honours ahead of the previously unbeaten Rainbow View, who failed to pick up after travelling well for a long way.
"She's a very good filly, I've always liked her and she's always done it very well," said the winning trainer.
"I didn't want to run her at less than a mile and I'm very confident she'll get a mile and a quarter."

The successful jockey revealed his father had been quietly confident in the build-up to the race.

"I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's good for my father as well, his second winner of this race. She's from a super family with horses like Nayef and I rode her mother Sarayir. To be honest my father has been very confident building up to the Guineas. She was a filly who was always going to improve and she's got a lot of class.

"We respected the favourite and John's (Gosden) horses have been running very well, as my father's have.

"I'm very lucky, I get all the glory by doing the steering. The ones at home do all the work and I'm appreciative of them all."

Winning owner Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum added: "He kept it quiet about her!

"I asked him (Hills) how she was at Newmarket and he said to me she was coming on the right way and said he was happy with her.

"I think trainers with experience they know their animals. He lives for his horses."

Here, Here Mr Hills, well done...long may they keep winning but next time give us the nod please! Barry R