Sunday 2 August 2009

Stewards Cup Review...what you could see of it that is!


Genki (14-1) pulled away from his rivals in the final furlong to land the Bluesquare.com Stewards' Cup in convincing fashion.

The big field of sprinters was only visible in the closing stages, but Genki was well in command when they came into view. Roger Charlton's five-year-old, ridden by Steve Drowne, took this ultra-competitive handicap by a length from the David Nicholls-trained Evens And Odds.

Top-weight Knot In Wood was a gallant third, three-quarters of a length away, with favourite Markab fourth.

Drowne said: "He's a lovely old horse. I was well behind at halfway, but I had the ones on my side covered. When I got to the front on my side the others started to come back to me, he's picked them off and he's gone and got them.

"He's quite versatile for trip and settles well. He missed the kick the last twice for some reason and today he was sharp out and broke on terms with them and travelled with them. He's such a game horse. We must have been 10 to 15 lengths behind those on the far side at halfway. He's done well to pick them up."

Charlton added: "I watched the race on the screen but really couldn't see much, or see his colours. But then when I did it was all over. It is satisfying. He's had a lot of problems. Running a lot on firm ground didn't help him. I really thought he would run well in the Wokingham and I was very disappointed there.

"He ran a great race at Windsor from a bad draw, then he ran last weekend. It's not necessarily my style to run them twice in a week. I ran him last week because I feel he needs seven furlongs and I think you do to win this race. He was staying on when the fast horses were dropping away.

"You've got to go where the money is. There was a big race last week and one again this week. Looking at the programme book there wasn't another worth this kind of money for him coming up. It would be nice at some stage to step him up in grade to Listed or Group races."

Nicholls said of the runner-up: "That was grand and I am very pleased. I think it will be the Ayr Gold Cup next for him. All of mine have run well, although the ground changed and that wouldn't have helped some of them. They are running well but we are hitting the crossbar."

Richard Fahey said of Knot In Wood: "I would say that is the run of his life. That is a massive effort off top weight in the Stewards' Cup. I would say that they went too fast on the far side. There is the Taby Sprint is Sweden next month which I am keen to go for. He doesn't have a penalty there and it is a nice prize."