Sunday 25 October 2009

Ouch!...Second, but...


Connections of the placed horses in the Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster were full of praise for the runaway winner St Nicholas Abbey.

Elusive Pimpernel ...my selection... finished clear of the rest in second and though he lost his unbeaten record in the process, John Dunlop was far from disconsolate.

The trainer said: "He has run a cracking race and I think it will prove no disgrace to have been beaten by that winner."

He added: "You have to be very pleased with that, although I suppose I could be more pleased, but there you go."

Godolphin's Simon Crisford said of third home Al Zir: "He has run very well and there are no excuses. The winner looked very special and we are going to look forward to next year now.

"He will be a mile-and-a-quarter horse next season, although he may stay a bit further. I think he is a horse who needs a winter on his back."