Tuesday 14 June 2011

St James Palace Stakes Preview


Jockey Paul Hanagan believes Wootton Bassett will put up a much stronger performance in the St James's Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot than he did on his reappearance at Longchamp.

Richard Fahey's stable star was unbeaten as a juvenile but could only finish fifth when sent off favourite for last month's French 2000 Guineas.

Hanagan said: "I'm looking forward to the race and I hope he can show his true form. I knew my fate down at the start in France. He was just too fresh and it didn't happen for him on the day. I felt sorry for the horse with the draw he had as well, but the race will have done him the world of good and he seems in really good form."

He added: "Obviously Frankel is going to be hard to beat, but I've got to go down to the start positive. Hopefully he'll run really well."


David Simcock's Dream Ahead was a scintillating winner of the Middle Park Stakes at Newmarket last year before being put in his place by Frankel in the Dewhurst.

The son of Diktat has not been seen in racecourse action since and Simcock warns his charge will improve for the run.

Speaking on his website www.davidsimcock.co.uk, the trainer said: "Dream Ahead has been working well and I am very happy with him but this will be his first run for a long time and it might be that he could be a little ring rusty. It will be a fascinating race."