Friday 7 May 2010

Michael Hills Suspended From Riding At Chester


Michael Hills was suspended from riding at Chester yesterday after failing a racecourse breathalyser test.

Hills was due to ride Redwood in the Huxley Stakes, Critical Moment in the Chester Vase and Diamond Geezah in the Adobe Hotel EBF Maiden Stakes. He will be replaced by his brother, Richard, on all three.

Stipendiary steward Louise Williams said: "It was the very bottom of the very bottom limit. It was only very marginal and we want to stress that, but we had to suspend Michael for today."

A contrite Hills said: "I had a couple of glasses of wine last night and headed to bed at the same time as Richard (Hills) at 11pm.

"The limit is 17mg and I read exactly that. They tested me when I arrived at 12.30pm and I couldn't believe it. I would have been fine 15 minutes later.

"I had a sweat in the bath this morning and really didn't think it would be a problem, but it has stayed in my system and that is that.

"I feel so embarrassed, I was with Richard and he was fine and like I say I'm just so embarrassed."