Thursday 28 July 2011

Frankel...Simply The Best?


Sir Henry Cecil declared Frankel to be the greatest horse he had ever set eyes on after his colt turned the clash with Canford Cliffs into an almost hopeless mis-match in the Qipco Sussex Stakes at Goodwood.

Considering Cecil has enjoyed a fabulous training career, his assessment was in keeping with the feeling of a wide-eyed audience, who witnessed the extraordinary three-year-old quicken five lengths clear of a multiple Group One-winning miler.

This was not a replica of his remorseless front-running in the 2000 Guineas and although Frankel ended up leading the four-strong field by default, he was ridden more patiently and Tom Queally only popped the cork with just over a furlong left. The response was explosive.


Canford Cliffs, a 7-4 shot against the 8-13 favourite, tracked Frankel and was just a length adrift before Queally made his move, but was beaten within a handful of strides and then hung markedly left across the track.

"I think it's a facetious thing to say, but he's the best I've ever seen," said Cecil. "I suppose the only ones I could compare would be Shergar and Blushing Groom at his best. I can't go back to the days of Tudor Minstrel and match races, but he's the best in my lifetime."


The trainer, who looked nervous beforehand, was asked whether he was surprised by the display. "It sounds awful, but no," he replied.

"My job was done and it was a bit like going to the dentist's beforehand, just waiting for it to be over. I did think he could win very easily, but I thought I'd let the horse do the talking. I do think the world of him. He's a much better horse now than earlier in the year, he's still improving."

Owner Khalid Abdullah added: "I think he is the best I've ever had - including Dancing Brave. Even from the beginning Henry said he was the best, and I followed him. Henry thought he was going to run better than he had at any other place and he was right."


Asked if Frankel could stay in training at four, he replied with a smile: "If Henry wants him."

Queally added: "The biggest problem I had was pulling him up. You get a good feeling from riding proper Group One horses, but I'm afraid he's just out on his own. He made the other horses look ordinary and they are very good horses. It's just a fantastic day."