Sunday 17 July 2011

Market Rasen Review


Denis O'Regan produced Viva Colonia with a perfectly-timed run to lift the totescoop6 Summer Hurdle at Market Rasen.

Wind Shuffle set out to make all while Laterly went with him, with the habitual front-runner evidently not enjoying having to trail another rival. They set a pretty quick gallop at the head of the field and their early efforts began to tell as Street Entertainer cruised up to take over some way out.

He was ahead at the second-last but challengers were lining up, with Caravel, Rajnagan and Kylenoe Fairy poised to swoop. However, Regan was making progress aboard the David O'Meara-trained 14-1 chance and produced Viva Colonia after the last to win by a length and a half.

O'Regan said: "They went a nice gallop, and he loved quickening off a fast pace. I won this last year on Australia Day and I didn't think I would be lucky enough to win it again.

"I'm delighted for Dave. He's a good mate of mine and is making a name for himself on the Flat, but he also loves a winner over jumps. Australia Day was a machine and this lad is certainly going the right way. He's tough, quick, and very genuine."

Dougie Costello was a deeply satisfied individual after securing his first winner since suffering a broken leg a day before the Cheltenham Festival.

Having returned to action on Wednesday, the popular rider was happily back in the winner's enclosure when Countrywide Flame, trained by his guv'nor, John Quinn, won the Try totequickpick On All totepool Bets Juvenile Hurdle.


Costello said: "It's actually not felt like I've been away for too long, but it's good to be back. I've had unbelievable support since I've been out, and the physios have done an amazing job.

"When I fell I knew I had broken something, it was just bad luck it was so close to Cheltenham, and also bad luck as it was my last ride before the Festival.

"But things are put into perspective when you look at the injuries of Peter O'Toole and Isabel Tompsett - it's just part and parcel of racing."