Monday 11 July 2011

More From Hayley...Oooh I LOVE Her I Do!


Hayley Turner believes fixture congestion on Saturday was instrumental in giving her the opportunity to become the first British female jockey to win a Group One race outright.

The 28-year-old former joint-champion apprentice was only third choice for the ride on Dream Ahead in the Darley July Cup, but picked up the chance because there was so much racing at home and abroad.

She got on David Simcock's stable star for the first time in the parade ring ahead of Newmarket's summer showpiece and made the most of the opportunity on a mount that both William Buick and Jamie Spencer had to turn down because of other commitments.

Having already been the first woman to reach 100 winners in a calendar year, her marginal improvement on Alex Greaves's dead-heat in the 1997 Nunthorpe Stakes confirmed her status on the top table.


"It was a fantastic day. Full credit to the Simcock team. I was lucky enough to pick up the ride and I hadn't actually sat on the horse before," Turner told At The Races.

"I'm thrilled I can tick it off the list now. I'm going to give my agent a ring now and tell him a Classic win is our next mission! Guy Jewell looks after me and a few of the other lads and he does a really good job.

"I just go with the flow. If you set too many targets you end up being disappointed. You have up and down days in racing. I'm just thrilled with the way its gone.

"I think I get a lot more publicity because I'm a girl. The lads are all doing similar things, but I'm thrilled about it all.

"The trainers have not been happy about the fixtures on Saturday, but it played into my hands a little but because there are only so many jockeys about."

Turner was delighted that Greaves, wife of North Yorkshire trainer Dandy Nicholls, was at Newmarket to share in the moment. "It was so nice. Alex came over and gave me a hug. She was so genuinely thrilled for me and it was really nice she was there," she added.