Sunday 10 July 2011

Well Done Adam!


Adam Beschizza became the sixth consecutive apprentice jockey to win the valuable John Smith's Cup as Green Destiny struck in impressive fashion at York.

Riding William Haggas's four-year-old in the colours made famous by Derby winner Authorized, the 18-year-old shone as he coolly brought his mount from the rear of the field.

The well-backed Pekan Star threatened three furlongs out but eventually faded to finish 15th as Modun kicked for home, but Beschizza refused to panic and passed just about everything down the centre of the track to win by three and a half lengths.

Green Destiny was all the rage ante-post for the Royal Hunt Cup last month before Haggas switched tack and ran him over 10 furlongs in the Wolferton Handicap instead.

That backfired as he could only finish seventh, leaving plenty of punters with burned fingers. But those who kept the faith were handsomely rewarded at 6-1 in the 52nd running of the big York race.

Haggas said: "He picked up very well. He was supposed to do that at Ascot and we came here not certain he would stay. I always thought he wanted soft ground, but he obviously doesn't. He was very well ridden, I must say.


"I don't imagine the handicapper will be very kind to him, so we'll have to have a think about his next race. I've wanted to win this race ever since I started training as I grew up in Skipton."

Beschizza added: "He must be very good to pass 20 horses in the straight. The feel he gave me, it's possible he's a Group horse.

"I had a good year last year but it's been slower this season. My 5lb claim went so quick."